Saoirse-Monica Jackson is an Irish actress, who rose to fame after portraying the character of Erin Quinn on the TV series “Derry Girls”.
Early Life and Childhood
Saoirse-Monica Jackson was born on 24 November 1993 in Derry, Ireland, so under the influence of the Sagittarius sun sign. She spent her childhood in Derry and Greencastle, where her family owned a village pub.
The names of her parents aren’t known, however, it has come to light that her mother is a counselor and her father is an engineer, and they have always supported her choices. Whether or not she grew up with siblings is also not evident to us at the moment.
Saoirse-Monica enrolled at St. Cecilia’s College in Derry and obtained her GCSE and A-levels, after which she enrolled at the Arden School Of Theatre in Manchester, England, and trained in acting.
Saoirse-Monica’s career started in 2016 when she was presented with an opportunity to portray the character of Sasha in “The Five” which is a TV Mini-series, and then appeared in Birmingham Repertory Theatre’s “Of Mice and Men” by John Steinbeck. In 2017, she portrayed the character of a young woman in the last episode of the TV series “Broken.” Her big break came in 2018 when she was selected to play the character of Erin in the “Derry Girls”.
Her performance was well-received and earned her an award for Best Comedy Performance at an award function organized by the Royal Television Society – she posted ‘I’m speechless’ on Twitter, saying ‘Sweet Jesus, I’m lost for words. Drinking black velvet in isolation. I’m so lucky to be part of such a cracker show’. The show won a BAFTA award for Best Scripted Comedy, and at from RTS it won the award for Best Scripted Comedy and Best Writer (Comedy).
The Guardian reviewed the show as being ‘hysterically funny and occasionally profoundly moving’. The sitcom recently finished its second season, and writers are busy with the third season. She talked about her Derry Girls cast fondly, saying ‘They are good craic! They are funny and confident, and they’re very comfortable with who they are.’
IN 2018, she also appeared in a rehearsed reading of “Three Sisters” by Brian Friel. Her upcoming releases are “Higher Grounds” in which she plays the character of Roopa, “Finding You” as Emma Callaghan, and “Liverpool Ferry”, all scheduled for release in 2020.
Hobbies, Favorite Things and Interesting Facts
- The Irish Independent Magazine had profiled her as the Next Irish Star Actress in 2016.
- Before making it big as an actress, Saoirse-Monica Jackson made a living by selling HelloFresh recipe boxes in London.
- When she first received the script for “Derry Girls”, she thought that it was some joke being played on her. On a panel by radio DJ Mairead Campbell in Belfast’s Odeon Cinema, she said ‘I actually thought “Derry Girls” was a joke when it first came through, that it was a documentary.’
- She received the email from her agent for Derry Girls on the very day when she had been fired from her sales job. She opened the email thinking ‘this is the worst day ever’.
- She auditioned for the role of Erin Quinn for over six months, and said that it was awful.
- She dyed her blonde hair pink and flaunted it at the annual TV Choice Awards, and was almost unrecognizable.
- A big mural of the five lead cast characters of “Derry Girls” has been painted on a wall in Derry. When asked to comment on her mural, she told The Guardian ‘I’d love to have a more articulate answer but there’s a mural in my home town after this show – who could have imagined that would have happened?’
- She says she’s still finding her way as an actor and a young woman.
- Her favorite actor is Jack Nicholson, and favorite actress is Charlize Theron.
- Her favorite color is green.
- Her favorite food is meatballs.
Saoirse-Monica suffers from a case of impostor syndrome, also known as impostor phenomenon, fraud syndrome or impostorism and is a psychological pattern that makes a person doubt their own accomplishments, and have a consistent fear of being exposed as a fraudulent person.
Saoirse-Monica has not revealed any information about who she is dating, and her past boyfriends to date. She hasn’t been photographed by the paparazzi with anyone she may be dating. She shares no pictures of herself with anyone else in her social media either.
? Happy New Year ?
Now that I’ve won Bake Off, I’m going into 2020 with the courage and confidence that I could breathe fire under water.
Thanks for watching! ? ?
Love S x https://t.co/xT3E47rhc5
— Saoirse-Monica Jackson (@SaoirseJackson) January 2, 2020
This is why we estimate that she is currently single and doesn’t have a significant other at the moment.
Saoirse-Monica Jackson has a strong presence on popular social platforms such as Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. On Instagram, she has almost 200,000 followers, but so active on Twitter saying ‘I’m definitely scared on Twitter. I’m a bit better on Instagram, but not great – and I actually feel the pressure of that.’
Saoirse-Monica is of Irish descent and is white in ethnicity. She stands at a height of 5ft 2ins (1.58m), weighs around 157 lbs (57 kg), and her vital statistics are 34-25-35. She wears dresses in size 4. Her eyes are blue and her hair is blonde.
At the young age of 27, the net worth of Saoirse-Monica is estimated to be around $100,000, likely to grow quickly as she now earns a reputed $30,000 per episode.